Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stealing Home by Sherryl Woods


# of book read so far this year: 36
Title: Stealing Home
Author: Sherryl Woods
Date Finished: 7/1/08
Genre: Romance
# of pages: 394
Series: Sweet Magnolias Series
blurb: Stealing Home Centered around Maddie’s Family. Maddie, Dana Sue, and Helen have been friends since highschool and were fondly known as the “Sweet Magnolias”. Maddie’s husband recently left her for a younger women, who he also got pregnant. Her and her children are having a tough time dealing with things. Her oldest son, Ty, is a star pitcher on the highschool’s baseball team, and the Coach notices a change in his attitude and calls Maddie to talk about it. They soon develop a friendship, and eventually admit their attraction to each other. Despite some opposition of other parents and teachers, they make their relationship known to everyone, and end up getting married and Maddie gets pregnant, and later has a baby girl, Jessie Lynn. Maddie, Dana Sue, and Helen are tired of the current Gym and they open a spa/gym designed only for women. It becomes a huge hit around the town. It has workout equipment, a relaxing atmosphere, and even a cafĂ© with HEALTHY treats for the women to enjoy when they are at the gym. The book also touched on Annie's (Dannie Sue's daughter) eating disorder, but the second book in the series goes into greater detail about that.
personal thoughts/opinions: My favorite character is Maddie. I did not like Noreen at all, and being a child of divorce, I could totally identify with Ty, Kyle, and Katie. I thought Maddie and Cal were perfect for each other. And I hated how the school and the community tried to come between them. I didn't really care for Helen. She was too much of a loudmouth.
What did you like best about the book? The small town feel and the happy ending!! Also the fact that due to personal experience, I could really relate to the storyline.
What didn’t you like about the book? probably Helen, and the principal from the highschool.
why you read it? because I'd heard a lot of good things about this series and after reading Mending Fences, I was anxious to read more of Sherryl Woods' books.
Was this book recommended to you or did you find it on your own? I think it was recommended after I mentioned how much I liked Mending Fences.
Would you recommend it to others? definitely!!
Do you want to read more books by this author? yes I'm now almost finished with the second book in the series, and plan to read the 3rd book. I also have a couple more books at home by her, as well as some anthologies that include her work, and I plan to read her other series.
Does it remind you of other books you’ve already read? not so much
Did you find it hard to stay interested in this book? no
Was this book what you expected?What book are you planning to read next? I have since read the second book in the series, A Slice of Heaven, and also A Time To Dance by Karen Kingsbury.

No comments: