Monday, May 12, 2008

Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber


# of book read so far this year: 28
Title: Twenty Wishes
Author: Debbie Macomber
Date Finished: 5/12/08
Genre: romance
# of pages: 360
Series: Blossom Street #4
blurb: a group of widowed ladies, who have become friends, get together one Valentine's Day and they each decide to make a list of 20 wishes to help themselves get through the grief of losing their loved ones. Anne Marie Roche, owner of Blossom Street Books, wants to learn to knit, fall in love, and do something good for someone else. She becomes a lunch buddy to Ellen, who lives with her grandmother. Then, when Ellen's grandmother gets sick, Anne Marie takes care of her while grandma is in the hospital. Eventually Grandma goes hom and Ellen goes back to live with her grandma. Then, grandma dies and Ellen goes back to Marie as a foster child, and Anne Marie soon decides to adopt Ellen. Once the adoption is final Anne Marie and Ellen take a trip to Paris, which was another one of Anne Marie's Twenty Wishes. Barbie, who works in a dress shop, lost her husband and father in a plane crash, and she has twin boys. Her wishes include taking Bellydancing lessons and falling in love again. She runs into a guy named Mark in the movie theater, who is in a wheelchair and turns out to be really grumpy. It is because of Barbie's persistence that they fall in love with each other. Lillie, Barbie's mom buys herself a red BMW, and falls in love with a guy who works in the car dealership. Eventually, they also fall in love.
personal thoughts/opinions: I thought this a was a cute book...it wasn't as good as I thought it would be but I still liked it. It made me want to make my own list of wishes, and I now have 12...I'm aiming for 20 wishes just like these ladies did.
What did you like best about the book? I liked the idea of making a list of wishes and remember to enjoy life
What didn’t you like about the book? the book was a bit slow in the beginning. And I was hoping there'd be more mention of the characters from past books in the series. I also noticed that the book concentrated on Anne Marie, Lillie, and Barbie, and hardly at all on Elise.
Who was you favorite character/least favorite character and why? My favorite character was Barbie and I loved reading about how she always tried to follow Mark around. That sounds like something I would do!
why you read it? I love Debbie Macomber and I've read all the blossom street books so far and I wanted to read this one too!
Was this book recommended to you or did you find it on your own? I ALWAYS keep up with Debbie's new/upcoming releases so I found out about this one on my own.
Would you recommend it to others? yes I would
Do you want to read more books by this author? oh I definitely plan to. I have several of her books in my collection at home waiting to be read, and there are several upcoming releases that I plan to read as well.
Does it remind you of other books you’ve already read? I don't think it does
Did you find it hard to stay interested in this book? no
Was this book what you expected? yes pretty much
What book are you planning to read next? Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

No comments: