Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Virgin River Christmas by Robyn Carr



After losing her husband last Christmas, Marcie comes to Virgin River to try and find her husband's best friend, Ian, a man who saved his life a few years earlier when they were in the marines. Ian lives in a secluded cabin in the woods, surviving without an indoor bathroom, no shower, and living off money he makes moving people and chopping wood. Deep down, he's lonely, but he survbves and prefers minimal to no contact with people. Marcie just wants to talk to him, give him Bobby's Baseball cards, and thank him for saving her husband's life. Originally, he is not happy that she's found him, and demands that she leave immediately. She is on her way to the outhouse when she falls and is knocked unconscious. He later finds her and brings her inside to get her warmed up. She ends up very sick, so she stays in his cabin for days, which eventually turn into weeks. Ian starts to enjoy her company, meanwhile Marcie realizes she's not ready to leave yet, and keeps calling her older sister and telling her she needs more time. As time goes on , Marcie gets Ian to take her into town and into the library, and he starts to realize that being around people may not be such a bad thing. They soon fall in love with each other, and she plans to go home to Chico on Christmas Eve. Then, while she ends up helping by driving the ambulance for him, Ian shows up in town, and finds Marcie and tells her he wants to go to Chico with her for Christmas and he wants to see his dad again. He also tells her that he can't imagine life without her and wants to see if they can make their relationship work. He doesn't quite ask her to marry him, but I could see them going in that direction.

My thoughts: Honestly, at first I wasn't sure if I'd like this, since it didn't center around the people in the other Virgin River books (Jack, Mel, Preacher, etc.), but there was plenty of mention of them as it was. I came to love Ian and Marcie and was hoping they'd end up together, but I think I have yet to see more of their story in Second Chance Pass. I can't wait. I would really like to find some other series that have this small town feel. I'm thinking the McKettrick Series by Linda Lael Miller might be similar. I even got tears in my eyes when (they thought) they were saying goodbye to each other on Christmas Eve. THATS how I know this was a good book!!

I finished this book on 11/4/2008 and it is book #59 for the year!!

No comments: