Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One Perfect Day by Lauraine Snelling


Nora Peterson wants this Christmas to be perfect, because it is their last Christmas as a family before her twins, Charlie and Christie go off to college. She goes all out in preperations. A couple days before Christmas, Charlie is killed in a car accident. He has marked on his license that he wishes to donate his organs.

Jenna is worried that this might be her daughter Heather's last Christmas. She is awaiting a new heart. By some miracle, they get a call right before Christmas, that a new heart has come available. They fly to Omaha, Nebraska for her surgery. Of course, Jenna can't begin to imagine what the other family must be going through right now, but she is so glad her daughter has been given another chance to live.

My thoughts:

This was my first book by Lauraine Snelling. I had heard about it in my Christianbookreaders group and I'd been wanting to read it for a long time. Much to my pleasant surprise, this was a recent acquisition of my library. I snatched it up right away! I really enjoyed the story. It definitely opened my eyes to organ donation and the way I react to death of a loved one. I couldn't imagine being in Christie's shoes; losing a twin, not to mention just the loss of a sibling. And losing a child....though I don't have children yet, I hope I never have to experience that. I did feel for Christie at times, she had no one to talk to. I also couldn't understand why they bought Charlie a car and not Christie.

As for Jenna and Heather, I loved reading about them too. I'm not sure what I think about Jenny marrying her brother in law though. I was glad to hear the ending. When Heather's new heart was going through the rejection, I thought maybe the ending would've been different.

I would've liked to have heard the Petersons' reaction to Heathers Letter. I think if I had an organ from donor, I'd want to meet them too. I also wish Jenna and Nora, and maybe even Heather and Christie could've met somehow.

No comments: