Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins


Here is the link to Amazon.

I really, really, REALLY liked this book! It was definitely one of my favorites for the year. This was also a NEW author to me! I have her other 4 books on my ebook reader, but haven't read them yet. I LOVED her writing style and loved reading the interaction between the characters. She has such a sarcastic, witty way of writing. The main family was Hungarian, but I loved how the secondary family---I gues you could call them that--was Italian, and loved the descriptions of food, their restuarant, and whatnot. As for the characters there really weren't any that I disliked. I knew all along that Lucy belonged with Ethan, and the only times I wanted to smack Lucy was when she pushed Ethan away. But luckily both came to their senses. Obviously, in real life, a guy wanting to date his dead brother's wife WOULD bother me, but since this is fiction and I do, after all, read to ESCAPE reality, this aspect did not bother me one bit.

I would LOVE to see any book centered around these same characters, perhaps with one of the Black Widows as the main character. I also liked how this story was written in first person...a nice change from the usual books that aren't. And I can't wait to read her other books soon.

(I know this review does not do the book justice...my own fault for not writing this entry as soon as I had finished the book, when my emotions were fresh in my mind).

a few other tidbits:

This book was set in a small town in Rhode Island--The Lang family owns a Hungarian Bakery and Ethan's family owns an Italian Restaurant.

I finished this on 1/31/2009
book #6 for the year (not too happy about this total)

I first heard about this author through my friends in the Robyn Carr Chatgroup--one of my many online bookgroups---about a year or so ago.

No comments: