Saturday, January 24, 2009

Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah


Elizabeth Shore has always been behind her husband, Jack, putting some of dreams aside so she can support him. Her two daughters are gone to college, and she finds herself feeling alone and like she's missed out on something. She feels like she's followed Jack from city to city as he's followed HIS dreams, and was never able to put firm roots down anywhere. She has finally found her dream HOME in Oregon right on the ocean. But for Jack, that's not enough, he still wants MORE. Jack gets a job in New York City as a sportscaster. Elizabeth makes plans to go with him to New York and try to start over there. But then her father passes away, and after alot of contemplating, Elizabeth decides she can't bring herself to leave Oregon. So, they live apart for awhile. Neither of them is sure whether not this is the actual end of their marriage. They tell their girls that Elizabeth is waiting to find a renter for the house in Oregon. They keep that charade up for awhile. Meanwhile, Elizabeth attends this Passionless Women meeting, and finds herself again. She signs up for a painting class, and brings out all her painting supplies that she put away so long ago. Her and Jack finally realize how much they really do love each other; and how much they miss each other. Jack finally gets his dream job on NFL Sunday, and Elizabeth finally agrees to move to New York with him.


My thoughts: I'm not sure what gave me the sudden urge to read this book. I'd had it on my TBR list and when I was at the library the other day, I saw it on the shelves, and picked it up. I really enjoyed this book. The storyline was quick moving, and definitely kept my attention. There weren't really any characters that I didn't like except for Sally. I have not really read many of Kristin Hannah's books, but she is definitely someone whose books I would like to read more of.

Finished January 24th, 2009

1 comment:

Donna said...

I have read a few of Kristin Hannah's books but not this one. I'll have to check it out. by the way be sure to check out my blog for some giveaways.