Thursday, January 22, 2009

This Side of Heaven by Karen Kingsbury


Josh Warren, a 28 year old, was previously a tow truck driver, until he was hit by a drunk driver. He had been talking to these two girls, and when he saw the tow truck driver coming toward them, he pulled the girls out of harms way, a very heroic act. He, unfortunately, was hit, and suffers from severe back pain, and he is no longer able to work. He has a younger sister, and parents who live close by, who haven't always been very happy (or supportive) about his career choices and where he is in life. Josh also believes he is the father of a 7 year old girl named Savannah, as a result of a one night stand in Vegas. No one believes him about this. This all comes to a head when Josh chews (instead of swallows) an Oxycontin pain killer and dies in his sleep. Just before he dies, he is in court for a deposition to determine the amount of his settlement. He tells the judge he has one daughter, and she will be the heir of his settlement. His Lawyer then orders a paternity test, which indicates that Josh is, in fact, the father. The girls mother, Maria, doesn't even want the child. She is a prostitute, and lives off the money she earns from that, and from begging from people in the park. Savannah's bed is on the floor underneath a desk. Maria ends up getting arrested, and gives up her parental rights. After visiting with Savannah for an afternoon, they decide to adopt her.


My thoughts: This was an awesome book. I realize my review may have ended on a jerky, rapid note. I could definitely identify with some of the feelings Josh had and he reminded alot of my boyfriend. (They even have the same first and middle name!) I couldn't stand Marie at all and hated the way she treated Savannah most of the time. I cried when Savannah met her grandparents for the first time. I thought Annie, Josh's mom, was a bit snooty, and couldn't believe that she wanted to use the settlement money on her husband's reelection. And the scene where Lindsey was trying to tell her how much Josh had changed and Annie just blew her off really irked me too. This book is listed as a stand-alone book on Karen's website, but it is connected to the Cody Gunner Series. Josh's neighbor Carl Joseph is Cody's brother, so there was mention of them in this book. So, I am really anxious to go back and read the two books in that series. Since finishing the book, I rushed to the library and checked out the first book in the series A Thousand Tomorrows! I can't wait to read it.
I finished this book in January 2009

No comments: