Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Inn At Eagle Point by Sherryl Woods


I finally finished The Inn At Eagle Point this past Wednesday (5/13/09). It took awhile to finish it because I seemed to keep putting it down to read other books. I do think, however that it was more ME than the book itself, because once I started reading, I really did enjoy the book. Sherryl Woods is great at making the reader feel a part of the book and the towns she creates are towns I wouldn't mind living in. Cheseapeake Shores is ne exception. The way she describes the town somewhat reminds me of the town in her Sweet Magnolias Series.

The Inn At Eagle Point starts out 15 years earlier when Megan O'Brien walks out on her husband and five children, due to her husband's workaholic tendencies. She doesn't actually say goodbye to her children, just sneaks away while they are sleeping. The youngest, Jessie, is only 7 at the time so in the years to come has a hard time adjusting to some things without the support of her mother. Abby, her older sister steps in and gives her the love and support she needs. Unfortunately, Abby is really the only one who maintains a relationship with Megan,once she(Abby) moves to New York.

Jump ahead 15 years and Jess is trying to open The Inn At Eagle Point in an old Victorian home on the beach. This "old" home needs alot of work and Jess tries hard to fix it up. She does a great job, but some of her ideas are too "big" which causes her to be in danger of foreclosure. Once again, Abby comes to the rescue and comes home to Chesapeake Shores and help get things back on track. She also runs into Trace, her old boyfriend, who she broke up with without much of anexplanation when she moved to New York after college. Trace's father owns the Chesapeake Shores Community bank, and Trace agrees to come run that bank for 6 months. One of his first jobs is deciding the future of The Inn At Eagle Point, which is how he crosses paths with Abby. He agrees to let Jess keep the Inn open under the condition that Abby oversees all financial matters, much to Jess's dismay, but she agrees to go along with it.

There are immediate sparks between the Trace and Abby, and Abby's five year old twin daughters just adore him. Abby and Trace decide to give their relationship one more try. They begin talking about a future but neither are sure wherre they will end up. Abby assumes she will be going back to New York once the Inn opens and Trace is not quite sure he wants to go back. Trace ends up buying a home that Mick O'Brien built, and Abby takes a new job in Maryland, thus putting her closer to her family, and allowing her to stay with Trace.

At the very end of the book Bre makes an appearance in town, and this sort of leads into the next book Flowers On Main.


The O'Brien's also have 3 other children. Bree, Kevin, and Connor. I'm anxious to hear about them also. Jess did bug me at times with her irresponsible spending habits, and her occasional disrespect of Abby's time and money, but other times I could relate to her on some level. And I thought that the sparks between Abby and Trace were predictible. I figured that they'd end up together again, which is what I hoped for. Again, I loved the setting in this book. Both the small oceanside town, and the Inn. I have since started reading Flowers On Main, and I'm looking forward to meeting Abby and Jess's other 3 siblings.

Date Finished: 05/13/2009

2 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I have Flowers on Main ready to read - just need to fit it into my schedule :) Nice review of the first one. I enjoyed it.

Kelly said...

Thanks! I just finished Flowers On Main a couple days ago, and I think I liked that book better than the first one. I need to write my review for that book. Hopefully today. :)