Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Promise by Danielle Steel


Book #35 for the year
finished on 6/18/2009

Description: Young architect Michael Hillyard and artist Nancy McAllister are determined to get married despite his wealthy mother's disapproval. Then, minutes before their wedding, a terrifying accident and a cruel deception separate Michael and Nancy -- perhaps forever. Each pursues a new life -- Nancy in California, Michael in New York. But eventually nothing -- and no one -- can keep them apart as they keep their vow never to say good-bye.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. I figured this book was set in the early eighties, or late seventies, but it was really hard to tell. I thought it was amazing that Nancy was only 22 or 23, yet she had to deal with all this at that age. I really liked Nancy/Marie and identified with her on some level. It was interesting hearing her perspective as she was going through surgeries (I've had alot of surgeries in my life too). I'm not sure how I would've handled what she went through. Michaels mom was a shrew, and I wish Nancy would've stood up to her. I had hoped that Peter and Marie would get married. They seemed like a much better fit than Nancy and Michael. I thought Danielle Steel worked Nancy's name change into the story perfectly. This was definitely one of my favorite books of hers. Seeing that this was based on a screenplay, I'd be very interested to see the screenplay now. I'm also anxious to read more of Danielle Steel's older books.

No comments: