Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury


# of book read so far this year: 33
Title: Like Dandelion Dust
Author: Karen Kingsbury
Date Finished: 6/16/08
Genre: Christian Fiction
# of pages: 384
Series: ~~~~~~
blurb: Joey is a little boy who's 5 years old and Adopted. His birth mother, Wendy, gave him up for adoption when she had him because his father was in prison for beating her. She gets pregnant right after he goes to prison. She doesn't tell him she's pregnant, instead she forges his signature on the adoption papers. 5 years later, when he gets out of prison, she tells him the truth. He insists they must get their son back and take him away from the only home and the only parents he's ever known. This is obviously very upsetting news to Joey's adoptive parents. They come up with a plan to flee the country while their Haiti on this mission trip with the church. In the end, Wendy's husband starts abusing her again, so Wendy decides to drop the case and that Joey is really better off with his adoptive parents, because no matter how many times Rip gets sent to prison for abusing her, she will continue to take him back every time.
personal thoughts/opinions: I really enjoyed this book. It did make me have second thoughts on whether I really want to adopt a child when I'm older. I hated Rip, and I thought Wendy was pretty selfish most of the time too. I didn't really like Beth...she tried too hard to shove religion down everyone's throat and expected everything to be just perfect.
What did you like best about the book? probably the subject matter. I love reading stories about adoption, whether it be fiction or non-fiction.
What didn’t you like about the book? probably some of the characters
why you read it? because I had read the back cover and the blurb caught my attention
Was this book recommended to you or did you find it on your own? I found it on my own when I was shopping
Would you recommend it to others? I already have
Do you want to read more books by this author? yes I definitely plan to
Does it remind you of other books you’ve already read? yes, somewhat of A Theory of Relativity, and this non fiction book I read
Did you find it hard to stay interested in this book? not at all...I only wish I would've picked it up and read it sooner.
Was this book what you expected? I think it exceeded my expectations
What book are you planning to read next? I have started Down By the River by Robyn Carr

I gave this book a 5/5!!

No comments: