Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Some Kind of Wonderful by Debbie Macomber

Basically John McFarland blackmails Charles Lovin into sending his daughter Judy to John's island. Once she arrives there, they fall in love, but it takes them forever to admit their feelings. John is quite the beast and lashes out to Judy on several occasions. Judy eventually gets a letter from home saying her brother is getting married and decides she wants to go home. However, John refuses to allow her to leave, which forces Judy to change her mind about him and ignore him at all costs. He finally agrees to let her go home, and it isn't until Judy gets home that she realizes how much she really loves John. She ends up going back to the island to marry John.

My thoughts:

In the beginning of the book, I wasn't so sure. But I stuck with it, and ended up liking it. I really liked Judy and I could definitely see her with a house ful of kids someday. I didn't really have much of an opinion about her family, because I didn't read much about them. However, I think the sister in law really helped Judy to realize her true feelings. Now....my feelings on John are somewhat mixed. I did think he was pretty selfish and arrogant, and there were times when I wished I could reach right through the pages and strangle him. BUT, I also saw a really sweet side. It was obvious, as much as he denied it, that he really loved Judy and lived to make her happy. I was tought when he built the school and the Doctor's office. I figured they would end up together, but the story should've ended with their wedding. SO thats MY review. I don't regret reading it....I plan to read ALL of Debbie Macomber's books someday and now I can cross this off my list. As far as ratings go, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: