Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Christmas Blessing by Donna VanLiere




# of book read so far this year: 23
Title: The Christmas Blessing
Author: Donna VanLiere
Date Finished: 4/11/08
Genre: Inspirational Fiction
# of pages: 212
Series: Christmas Hope Series #2
blurb: This book is a sequel to The Christmas Shoes. Nathan is now in college, a medical student in his third year. He's questioning whether he is really meant to be a doctor, and what he's really meant to do. He meets several people along the way that help him. Megan is a freshman in college, and also an athlete. She was born with a hole in her heart, but but she still continues to beat her records. She is also organizing a run to raise money for scholarships for cardiology patients. Charlie is a little boy and was born only one working ventricle in his heart. Hope is 5 years old and has an enlarged heart and waited for a heart transplant for 6 months before a heart became available for her. Nathan first met her when he sat in on her transplant surgery.
As Christmas approaches, Meghan is diagnosed with Hepatitis and anxiously awaits a liver transplant, and one to become available. Charlie passed away on Christmas Day, and his liver ended up being the closest match for Meghan. So, it was definitely a miracle for her. They had the Charlie Bennett Scholarship run and raised $100,000. The book ends with Nathan and Meghan getting married.
personal thoughts/opinions: I'm eager to read the next book in the series now so I can hear the rest of the story. I was suprised at how the ending went...I read the last half of the book expecting for something to happen to Megan, especially as it got closer to Christmas.
why you read it? I really enjoyed The Christmas Shoes and definitely wanted to read the rest of the books in the series. They're great little inspirational stories and quick reads.
Was this book recommended to you or did you find it on your own? I think I may have heard others talking about this series, or I found it by looking at different book websites (amazon, etc.)
Would you recommend it to others? Yes I would
Do you want to read more books by this author? Yes, I plan to read the rest of the books in the series, and I would also like to check out some of her other books.
Does it remind you of other books you’ve already read? It does remind me a little of the Christmas Box Series by Richard Paul Evans.
Did you find it hard to stay interested in this book? Not at all, in fact, I think it got even better as the story went on.
Was this book what you expected? Yeah it was pretty much what I expected
What book are you planning to read next? Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr....I might start that book before I finish this one, and read the two at the same time.

No comments: