Sunday, April 6, 2008

First Mates by Cecilia Dowdy


# of book read so far this year: 20
Title: First Mates
Author: Cecilia Dowdy
Year Published: 2005
Rating (1-5): 5
Date Finished: 4/6/08
Genre: Inspirational Romance
# of pages: 251
Number in Series: ~~~
Where did the book come from: library
Why I read it: I read the back cover, and it looked good!
Blurb (story line): Rainy, a girl who's trying to get over her recent breakup with her unfaithful boyfriend, and Winston, a guy who's trying to grieve the death of his twin sister, meet on a cruise ship. They have such a good time on the cruise ship that they continue to see each other after the cruise is over since they live in the same area. Eventually, Rainy begins to question Winston's past and his Christian faith. She wants to be sure that he's not just saying he's Christian just to please her. Eventually, he is able to assure her that his faith is very important to him. And Rainy realizes that it doesn't matter WHEN you start understanding the meaning of faith, it just matters that you do.
My personal thoughts and comments: This was a cute, but corny story. I did think Rainy was a bit insecure at times, and way too caught up on her ex-boyfriend Jordan, who didn't even deserve her anyway. I knew right away that Rainy and Winston would end up married. I thought they were perfect for each other. This was the first Steeple Hill Romance book I've read, and I will definitely read more.

1 comment:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Hi, Kelly. Thanks for reading my novel, and I enjoyed your frank and honest review of my work! I certainly hope you read more Love Inspireds in the future. I have another book being released next month through Barbour Publishing entitled John's Quest. You can check it out here:
http://www.heartsongpresents.com/book/detail/9781602600065/