Saturday, April 19, 2008

Whispering Rock by Robyn Carr


# of book read so far this year: 26
Title: Whispering Rock
Author: Robyn Carr
Date Finished: 4/19/08
Genre: Romance
# of pages: 363
Series: Virgin River Trilogy
blurb: Brie, Jack's sister, was recently raped while she's recovering and trying to get on with her life she spends a lot of time with Mike Valenzuela, much to Brie's Brother, Jack's, dismay. Mike They soon fall in love and he asks her to marry him. Hope McRea also offers Mike a job as the town's cop. Paige and Preacher, who were recently married get pregnant, Jack and Mel get pregnant with their second child. There are some newcomers to Virgin River, including Tom, Walt, and Vanessa, After seeing two girls who appear to have been raped, Mel is very concerned that there seems to be a lot of date rape going on among the Teenagers of Virgin River. With Tom's help, he's able to arrest the two boys who he finds guilty. Vanessa, who's new to Virgin River, is also pregnant, and right before she gives birth, her husband, who's in the Marine Corps, dies. His best friend, Paul, who has always been attracted to Vanessa, helps her through her grief and is her labor coach when she has her son.
personal thoughts/opinions: I didn't really like Brie or Vanessa.....both seemed kind of self-centered, and somewhat Manipulative. Vanessa basically tricked Paul into being her labor coach, something he wasn't comfortable doing.
What did you like best about the book? I enjoyed hearing about Mel and Jack and Preacher and Paige....those are my favorite couples.
What didn’t you like about the book? all the stuff about the rape. I guess it just shows that these things still happen even in a small town.
why you read it? I had read the first two books in this series, and was eager to read this one too!
Was this book recommended to you or did you find it on your own? it was recommended to me by people in one of my book groups.
Would you recommend it to others? Not so much this book, but definitely the series
Do you want to read more books by this author? yes, I'd really like to read Never Too Late and I'm anxious to read the Grace Valley Trilogy
Does it remind you of other books you’ve already read? yeah this series reminds me of a couple other series I've read that are based in small towns.
Did you find it hard to stay interested in this book? Not at all. I finished it in a day and a half. That should tell you something.
Was this book what you expected? I honestly didn't expect the rape issue to happen to the teenagers, and I didn't expect the newcomers. But I figured that Brie and Mike would end up married, and I HOPED that Paige and Preacher would have a baby. I didn't expect that Mel would end up pregnant again.
What book are you planning to read next? The Secret Between Us by Barbara Delinsky

No comments: