Monday, April 7, 2008

Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury

# of book read so far this year: 21
Title: Oceans Apart
Author: Karen Kingsbury
Year Published: 2004
Rating (1-5): 5
Date Finished: 4/7/08
Genre: Christian Fiction
# of pages: 350
Number in Series: ~~~~
Where did the book come from: library
Why I read it: I read an excerpt of this book in Beyond Tuesday Morning recently, and it made me want to read the story.
Blurb (story line): 7 years earlier, Kiahna and Conner had an affair, which resulted in her getting pregnant with Max. Now Kiahna, a flight attendant, is killed when the plane crashes. She has left instructions for the attorney to contact Max'sd father, Conner. Conner doesn't even know she got pregnant, and has never told his wife. He also has two daughters. Another one of Kiahna's wishes was that Max go visit his father for two weeks, and if everything went well during that visit, Max could live with him from then on. Conner's wife, Michele has a really hard time finding it in her heart to forgive Conner, and at first, she doesn't think their marriage will survive if Max is around. She relies on her relationship with God to help her figure out what to do. In the end, she realizes what the right thing to do really is, and Max (and his beloved labrador retriever, Buddy) comes to live with his dad.

Also, Conner has refused to speak to his dad for the last years, after he refused to help him purchase the small airport. During the time everything was going on, Conner realized that he was to blame for a lot of things, including the falling out with his father. Luckily, with the help of Michele, he is able to reach out and bridge the distance between them.
My personal thoughts and comments: I LOVED this book.....I knew just by reading the excerpt that I would love it, and once I started, I couldn't put this book down. Especially in the end. I didn't really like the way Ramey broke the news of Max's mom's death to him. And I couldn't believe that Michele and Conner were willing to send Max home. Especially since Max was Conner's son! And Michele would've been totally selfish to do so and go through with it. Max had nothing to do with the affair, and it really wouldn't be fair to deny him the chance to have his father in his life, something he's ALWAYS wanted, just because he was a reminder of the affair. I was so happy when they changed their minds. I found myself wanting to keep reading just to find out what happened. I didn't like the other couple who wanted to adopt Max at all. It seemed like all they wanted him for was so he could do all the work for them. And they wouldn't allow him to keep buddy.

The next Karen Kingsbury book I plan to read is Like Dandelion Dust and I know it will be just as good as the three of her books I've already read have been.

No comments: