Monday, February 25, 2008

Fighting For Tony- Mary Callahan

Aside from reading Romance novels and contemporary fiction, I also enjoy reading non-fiction sometimes too. I enjoy reading about people born with disabilities or birth defects, adoption and foster care, multiple births, and other subjects of interest. I also enjoy biographies and memoirs. I don't count these books toward my reading goals for the reading groups I'm in, but I do count them toward my personal goals and keep track of them in my reading log as well as here. I go on hunts at the library every once in awhile, and will check out several non-fiction books to read. I have several out right now, mostly having to do with the foster care system. However, the book I read most recently was about a little boy with Autism.


# of book read so far this year: 13
Title: Fighting For Tony
Author: Mary Callahan
Year Published: 1987
Rating (1-5): 5
Date Finished: 2/25/08
Genre: non-fiction
# of pages: 169
Number in Series: ~~~~
Where did the book come from: library
Why I read it: I enjoy reading books about children with different conditions, syndromes, and disabilities.
Blurb (story line): This book was about Tony, a little boy who was diagnosed with Autism. It told the story of his life from his birth to when he was diagnosed up until he was in elementary school and how his parents dealt with the diagnosis.
My personal thoughts and comments: It was an interesting story, although I'm sure things are different now, as far as treatment goes, than they were 10 years ago. The parents seemed a little ignorant at times, but they finally figured out how to help their son. It was sad to see that so many schools were so unwilling to help them.

No comments: