Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Manning Sisters by Debbie Macomber



# of book read so far this year: 7
Title: The Manning Sisters
Author: Debbie Macomber
Year Published: 2008
Rating (1-10): 8
Date Finished: 2/9/08
Genre: Romance
# of pages: 523
Number in Series: this is the first ....there are still two more books about this family coming out later this year
Where did the book come from: I always like to buy Debbie Macomber's new books. I bought this very soon after it came out.
Why I read it: Because it's a Debbie Macomber book...why wouldn't I read it!!!!
Blurb (story line): This book included two stores: The Cowboy's lady and The Sheriff Takes A Wife. The Cowboy's lady was about Taylor, originally from Seattle, WA, who has just moved to Montana to try to get over a recent breakup. She is a schoolteacher, and is very popular with the students. She meets Russ, a man who's a Ranch Foreman, and very set in his ways and has very strong opinions. He is also the guardian of his 13 year old sister, since their parents have died. Taylor and Russ deny their attraction to each other for the longest time, but finally admit their true feelings and elope to get married, and eventually have a little boy, Eric.
The Cowboy's Lady starts off right when Taylor is giving birth to her little boy. Her sister Christie (who happens to be engaged to her fiancee James) comes to help out while Taylor is recuperating. She meets the sheriff, Cody Franklin, and hides the fact that she's engaged to James, and doesn't even tell James she's falling in love with someone else. She decides she wants to call off the wedding and be with Cody and waits until the last possible moment to tell James. When she goes back home to Seattle, she plans to tell James everything, but she arrives home to find out her mom has planned this huge surprise engagement party for them, and says nothing. They even set a wedding Date. She finally tells James the truth and is pretty crushed. Christie's parents don't take the news so well either- they really liked James- but they come around when Christie least expects it.
My personal thoughts and comments: The Cowboy's Lady- I didn't care for Russ in the beginning at all. I thought he was a male chauvanist. I thought Taylor was sweet and I thought Mandy, Russ's sister, was hilarious. She was definitely not afraid to stand up to Russ.
The Sheriff takes a wife- really the only thing I have to say about this story was that I thought Christie was really selfish and didn't seem to care about anyone's feelings but her own. Though she kept saying she did everything for to avoid hurting everyone else, what did she end up doing to James????? leading him on and devastating him in the end. I will say I didn't really think they were a match, but that does not excuse the way she treated him.
Honestly, I wasn't sure if I would end up liking this book when I first started reading, but now after finishing it, I'm definitely looking forward to reading The Manning Brides, which comes out in August and The Manning Grooms which comes out in December.

No comments: